Faro > Algarve >> Portugal >> FARO
Faro is the capital of the Algarve since 1956. The old name of the city was Ossonoba, baptized by the Romans. Faro is part of Portugal since 1249, when the city and the entire region of the Algarve was conquered from the Moors by King Afonso III.
Faro is a city of Roman origin 8TH century before Christ. The city was conquered by d. Afonso III in the year 1249, and was named "Santa Maria de Faaron", which led to the current name, FARO
View of Faro Centre. Garden Manuel Bivar, port of Faro and Ria Formosa
Faro is a city with a city center dominated by General administrative services, schools, universities, hospital district, street of shops and bars and entertainment zone. The seaside town is divided of Ria Formosa by a railway line, and a port and an airport. The city grows into the interior, to the outskirts of the village of Estoi, and Sierra, in the village of Santa Bárbara de Nexe. The areas outside the city are known as the ancient vegetable gardens, where still cultivate land extensive orange groves, and horticultas products to serve the consumption of large hypermarkets. Faro beach is at a distance of 9 km, situated on a peninsula known as the island of Faro. Access to the peninsula is done by a bridge with road and pedestrian traffic or the beach in continuation of the beach of Quinta do Lago and Quarteira.
Inside the old town of Faro, a mandatory visit is the Cathedral of Faro. From the top of the Cathedral we can see fantastic panoramic views over the city.
At Largo da Sé found a statue of Bishop d. Francisco Gomes de Avelar. He founded the Seminary of Faro. He founded the Museum Infante d. Henrique and built various monuments in Faro. The Bishop built artistic schools for the inhabitants of the Algarve to learn a trade and could sustain their families. Built roads and bridges, and taught farming processes. D. Francisco Gomes de Avelar was an intellectual man dedicated to transmit teachings of morality and education to the people.
Faro is the transport hub to get to Algarve. Faro International Airport is the second busiest airport in Portugal. Has air link in approximately 3 hours with the main European cities. The International Airport of Faro is located in front of the city, surrounded by the Ria Formosa. the access to the airport is made by the parish of Montenegro, at a distance of six kilometers from the city.
The Centre of Faro is distanced from:
- Faro International Airport-6.5 km
- Faro Beach-9 km
- Portimao, Portugal-60 km
- Porto, Portugal-556 km
- Lisbon, Portugal-277 km
- Huelva, Spain-112 km
- Seville, Spain-201 km
The Faro shopping street was for many years the main point of trade and services of the Algarve region. Here are located the most important shops and is where the people of Faro walk, do buy, and chat with friends in the terraces and interiors of the traditional cafes. With the recent growth of tourism, many buildings are being recovered by the owners and give rise to new nice shops
Outside the city of Faro in Faro
Faro island has two rows of houses. One of the rows of houses is facing the Ria Formosa. Another row is facing the sea. In the Middle a tarmac road. There are restaurants, bars and a club náutico. The terraces facing the Ria Formosa are a typical stopover for lovers of nautica. It is common to see fishermen and the shellfish gatherers working in Ria Formosa.
Estoi, Faro's surroundings
With 3500 inhabitant, the village of Estoi is a agricultural district of Faro. Nowadays it is well known due to the Palace of Estoi restored and adapted to function as pousada de charme. The Rococo style Palace. Between the various elements, the Palace is decorated with blue and white tiles, has a copy of the three Graces, Canova, has a large Pavilion with stained glass Windows, decorated with nymphs and tiled niches.